Re: Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 10:47:44AM -0500, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 09:53:30AM +0100, Matthias Clasen wrote:

Next to impossible? Really? I've find it easy to come up with passwords
that work. We even report libpwquality's reason for any failures.

> > > You're assuming before asking.  With the structure of the installer now, we
> > > can look at changes like taking the password aspect and making it
> > > product-specific controllable by a number of different methods.  Our
> > > historic aim to end variant specifics in the installer was because the old
> > > code (and variants) lacked a way to assign owners to those product
> > > specifics, which meant that requests of the installer to be product specific
> > > meant we were asked to be the owners of those specifics.
> >
> > Let me ask now, then: can we make the change to reject 'weak' passwords
> > specific to only those products that enable sshd by default, please ?
>
> [adding anaconda-devel-list to CC]
>
> >From a technical standpoint, I see this being possible.  Conditionalize it
> on sshd being enabled or not.  That's not really variant-specific and just a
> system condition we could work around.
>
> I'm putting this on anaconda-devel-list for further discussion.  bcl,
> others?  What are your thoughts on this request?

I don't think we should make it act differently. While the change
request for sshd setup was the initial reason I wrote the changes, I
think that ALL passwords on the system need to be strong these days.

I don't find any of the arguments against the change to be compelling.
The most valid one is repeated installs of throw-away VMs, and I
addressed that in my original post. Just make up a password that passes
and write it down.

If we do make this conditional, either based on sshd being active, or
per-product then where do we stop? Most decisions the installer makes
about the system could be called 'enforcing', so do we now have to have
a vote on every change?

Passwords are the gateway to people's private data. We should be
encouraging them to choose stronger passwords and we should remember
that we're not the only people running Fedora.