Re: Anaconda as a template system versus an installer

On 12/05/2014 10:03 PM, Colin Walters wrote:

Another *major* issue with Anaconda-as-templater is networking.  See this thread for example:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2014-November/004663.html

There needs to be some way to sanely distinguish between networking for the ImageFactory environment versus the *target* network configuration.

We are talking about virt-install in ImageFactory right (ie we need a way to distinguish between installer (VM) environment vs target configuration)?
I believe we can do better in Anaconda, depending on what is required:

1) Don't copy installer network config (ifcfgs) to target system, so what is done in cloud.ks %post works:

# simple eth0 config, again not hard-coded to the build hardware
cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 << EOF
DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
_ONBOOT_="yes"
TYPE="Ethernet"
EOF

In anaconda native image install we already don't copy network configuration to target system. We'd probably need a explicit (kickstart) flag to do the same for virt-install image installations.

2) Bring up all network ifaces by NM with default config (dhcp) on target system.

Additionally to the above we'd need to configure NM to run default auto-connections on NM start (it is turned off on server by default, by installing NetworkManager-config-server package).

* Bring up just one network device by NM with default config (dhcp) on target system.

Ie generate the configuration (something what ifcfg file created in %post does) in installer. This can be more tricky as afaik NM needs to have some ifcfg value to match interface to be activated - iface name or MAC  - which we can't assume during installation as can be seen in the mailing list thread mentioned above. I don't think NM has something that matches --device=link kickstart configuration (use first device with link).

Also we might need to look for such configuration of target system that is common for NM / non-NM (network service) target system installations.

3) Creating fully customized target system configuration would be harder. It is true that we have been assuming network configuration of installer to be used on target system, and it was also for technical reasons as we are using NM to generate the configuration (ifcfg files) which (AFAIK the current status) could be done only "live", generating system (installer) ifcfg files.

Radek