Re: Release criteria for dual/multi-booting with other Fedora and other Linux installs

> Hi folks. We've had a discussion going for a few months now over on
> test@ about release criteria for dual/multi-booting with other Linux
> installations. I actually thought this discussion had made it here to
> a-d-l at some point, but it seems I was mistaken in that.
>
> So I mistakenly proposed an F21 Final criterion requiring dual-boot with
> Fedora to work (on the false assumption everyone was already working
> under that expectation already). I'm withdrawing it as a proposal for
> F21, but I think it makes sense for F22, so I'm keeping it as a live
> proposal, and I'll re-post it here:
>
> ===
>
> When installing to a system containing an existing installation of
> the same Fedora release or either of the two previous releases,
> the installer must configure the new installation's bootloader such that
> it can successfully boot the existing installation.
>
> [Footnote] Typical configurations only: This criterion applies only to
> installations (both existing and new) using default or very common
> storage and bootloader configurations.
>
> [Footnote] Platforms: This criterion applies to all supported
> configurations described in
> [[Fedora_22_Alpha_Release_Criteria#Release-blocking_images_must_boot|the
> Alpha criteria]], but does not apply to mixed configurations, e.g. it
> does not require that a UEFI native installation of one Fedora release
> be able to configure its bootloader to boot a BIOS native installation
> of another Fedora release.
>
> ===
>
> What do folks think about that as an F22 Final criterion? In the test@
> discussion there's a rather broader proposal from cmurf which covers
> dual booting with other distros and is less restrictive as to the
> supported configurations, but I thought it might be easier to get
> consensus for something more restricted at least as a starting point.
This is definitely a good strategy and I think the criterion above is a
good starting point. It would be nice to put there Windows and OS X as
"required to keep working out of the box", but there have been so many
issues with these that I'm quite sure it would mean slips for Fedora 22
and we would still not catch all the quirks.

So ACK from me.

--
Vratislav Podzimek