Re: blivet-gui announcement

On Friday 05 September 2014 23:57:46 Adam Williamson wrote:
> I like GNOME Disks, it's a great handy toolbox for doing
> simple manipulation of drives, but I'm not sure it quite fits the same
> mental box as blivet-gui would, for me.

So, to extend the theoretical POV the way to go may have been:
 * Make the backend (udisks or equivalent) use python-blivet for a complete
   partitioning stack.
 * Let GNOME Disks expose only a "naive-user-friendly" subset of the functionality.
 * Let a full "blivet-ui" expose the full functionality.
(obviously it's easier for me to do the talk than do the walk ;-)

On another related front, can anyone relate this to similar technologies:
 * SystemStorageManager (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemStorageManager)
 * openlmi-storage (https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/openlmi-storage.git)
 * The last one is even implemented in python.

Just to make clear -- I think multiple competing solutions in the same domain
are totally OK, especially when it's not clear which technologies will get
traction. So even though running UI's as root is really bad, thanks for
the blivet-ui people for the effort to expose an important storage stack.

Bye,

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron@xxxxxxxxxxxx                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron

But it does move!
                -- Galileo Galilei