Re: anaconda/grub2/ostree/uefi/cats/dogs

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 03:46:28PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2014, at 2:43 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Ok, here are my first attempts at modifying the spec to be more
> > generally useful. Note that this means that gummiboot can no longer
> > implement the full spec, but since gummiboot is also unable to do
> > several other things that we need to do I don't see that as a problem in
> > Fedora.
> >
> > https://secure.freedesktop.org/cgit/www/log/MatthewGarrett/BootLoaderSpec.mdwn
>

> * What's the distinction between $boot and $root in
> grub-core/commands/blscfg.c? GRUB_BOOT_DEVICE is $boot when
> GRUB_MACHINE_EFI. While GRUB_BOOT_DEVICE is $root on non-UEFI. Yet the
> revised spec says /org/freedesktop/bls goes on the ESP as $boot
> whether UEFI or non-EFI.

I need to actually set up a BIOS system again to verify how this is
going to work properly - it's been too long since I used one. However,
there's still no requirement that grub be installed on the ESP on BIOS
systems, so drawing a distinction between "The disk with grub on it" and
"The disk with the config on it" is still important.

> * Changes, 3rd bullet, "There's no reason to enforce VFAT as long as
> the filesystem is able to read it." I'm thinking "filesystem" was
> meant to be "firmware".

Correct.

> * What happens to BIOS Boot on BIOS systems where GPT is either
> preferred, or necessary to support > 2.2TB drives? Looks like such
> systems get BIOS Boot still for core.img, a FAT formatted ESP for
> /org/freedesktop/bls/entries, and a Linux boot partition for
> kernel+initramfs, grub, etc. And I'm not sure really what's gained by
> changing the legacy layout with one more partition, formatted as FAT,
> for just bootloader snippets.

The bios boot partition has no filesystem, so can't be used to store
configuration. /boot is not required to be shared between multiple
operating systems.

> * Spec doesn't address how a spec compliant installer should behave
> when installing along side an existing installation: Should
> bootability of the previous OS must be preserved? That seems a
> critical point of contention with most distros erring on the side of
> "oh, whatever" <hand waive> "user obviously doesn't care about the
> other OS that much, they're installing ours." I think as a default
> behavior it's pernicious.

Sure, that's outside the spec. If there's a boot fragment for the other
OS then it'll remain installable. If the OS wants to support booting
non-compliant OSes then it should ensure that fragments are generated.
What *is* missing is guidance on naming of chainload/efi fragments -
using the machine ID there is obviously inappropriate. I'll add
something on that.

> * A consequence of BLS is multiple device resilient boot isn't
> possible because the configuration files go on a single ESP disk,
> which can't be on md raid (or btrfs). So it becomes a single point of
> failure.

For BIOS systems there's no problem with RAIDing the ESP. For UEFI
systems it's already a single point of failure.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx