Re: anaconda/grub2/ostree/uefi/cats/dogs

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> One of the benefits of the BLS approach is that it makes it more
> straightforward to handle multi-OS scenarios - people can drop config
> fragments into a defined location and still have them picked up by any
> conforming bootloader. That seems desirable, but syslinux doesn't appear
> to have a straightforward way to handle that.

Right, though it is an easy file to edit.

> I agree that there are issues with the BLS as it currently stands (no
> support for chaining legacy OSes,

Yeah, I hadn't considered chainloading in my proposal...leaving it in
the bootloader-specific config as the BLS suggests leaves us with
os-prober for GRUB, but is that really that bad?  I don't have a lot of
experience with the non-Linux multiboot scenario though I admit.

> the idea of using FAT for /boot) but
> it's more attractive to simply fix those bits than toss them out.

I agree this is worth pursuing.

> I'm
> planning on submitting an F21 change covering this before the deadline
> (although, to be fair, the motivation here is mostly to get rid of the
> worst of os-prober rather than helping ostree - but if it works for you,
> that works for me)

Yep, I'll comment once I see it.