Re: Follow installation progress

On Thu, 2014-05-29 at 12:40 +0200, Martin Kolman wrote:
> > > /tmp/packaging.log is the file you want to track. You'd need to ignore
> > > the debugging information at the top, but the information about "so far
> > > installed" packages appears there during the installation process.
> >
> > Hi Vratislav,
> >
> > thanks for answering. I start the ssh daemon and log into the installing
> > while it is in progress.
> >
> > What you say would be great if it was the case for me. But it is not,
> > unfortunately.
> >
> > I did carefully search for the install progress information, grepped the
> > entire file-system, including /tmp and /tmp/sysimage - found noting.
> >
> > And yes, I did check /tmp/packaging.log, of course. I did think it would
> > contain the same as I see on the VGA display, but it doesn't. All it
> > contains is:
> >
> > 01:35:24,463 INFO packaging: 295 packages selected totalling 1.17 GB
> > 01:35:24,564 INFO packaging: Running anaconda-yum to install packages
> > 01:36:15,293 INFO packaging:  running transaction
> >
> > And that's it. The next message is when all packages are installed.
> > Nothing in between.
> Oh, right. now I see it too. I was confused by the fact that it prints
> all the packages it has installed, but it looks like it does this only
> once the transaction finished (as can be seen from the log file
> timestamps). I'll see what can be done about this.

Thanks for replies. I'd need some more specific directions if you want
me to file a bug or 'RFE', like a specific URL.

Related question, did you ever try to log the entire tmux stream of
messages to a file? I do not even know if it is possible, but have a
feeling that it is.

It would be extremely useful to have something like /tmp/display.log
which would contain all the text mode display output.

Would that make sense?

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy