Re: [RFC] Improving the Anaconda CLI help

While you are looking in this area, it may very well be worth switching
anaconda to using argparse instead of optparse.  The latter is no longer
really being developed, and I know that argparse does a much better job
with translated help text than optparse does.

> * The help texts are currently printed one after another without any
> padding, creating a huge wall-of-text-column on the right side of the
> screen.
> Do we want to add some white space or other formatting between them and
> will optparse be able to do that ? One possible downside is that it will
> make the already long help output even longer.

We have our own help text formatter at the moment.  Just running
anaconda --help the first thing I notice is that the text is only being
displayed in the left perhaps 50% of my terminal windows, so we may want
to teach our help text formatter about terminal width for better
wrapping.

> * Some options might make sense/work only in
> netinst/liveinst/dirinst/imageinst/etc. or even mean different things in
> different modes. The question is - what to do about this ?
> Should each option have an indication in what mode it should be used ?
>
> One other solution would be to group the options to groups, say a group
> for all options specific to an installation mode and a group for
> multi-use options. For example the firewall-cmd command --help work like
> this.

Certainly, grouping options is one way to go.  Otherwise I would say
yes, options should be somehow marked with what modes they are relevant
for.  This could get a little overwhelming though.  Probably grouping is
the nicest looking way to do it.

> Another possible solution would be to just print options relevant to
> CLI use-cases. On the other hand this would prevent people from using
> their locally installed Anaconda as a reference for Anaconda boot
> options.

I think if you're going to do it, you should just go all the way with
it.  Otherwise people are going to ask for more and more until you end
up doing it all anyway.  Might as well plan for that from the beginning.

> * man page ! I think would not be difficult to generate a useful
> anaconda man-page from the anaconda_options.txt file holding the
> help text. What do you think ? :)

If it can be generated from the same data, sure!

- Chris