Re: udevadm settle hang on rawhide

On Fri, 2014-04-11 at 19:09 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> I was hitting a hang when doing ostree installs which the ever awesome
> Brian Lane tracked down to be generic hangs with any kickstart
> installation relating to udev.
>
> The problem is udevadm settle vs network namespaces.  A variety of
> systemd services now use PrivateNetwork= which ends up creating a new
> network namespace, and that "eats" udev events from the perspective of
> the system udev.
>
> This means that udev will hang waiting for a sequence number it won't
> see.
>
> I talked to Kay about this and he bumped it up on his priority list, he
> says it's obviously a systemd bug since they're both in the same
> codebase now. In the meantime we may need to figure out a workaround.

> 1) Postprocess all systemd units in lorax and remove PrivateNetwork= (I
> think this might work)
> 2) Replace "udev_settle()" calls in blivet with "sleep 1m" or something
> 3) Investigate a better API than udev settle; it seems to me we could
> more intelligently wait for just storage for example.
4) Investigate a better implementation for what udev does which however
means quite a lot of work, but would prevent many many issues all over
the system.

Other than that I believe that we shouldn't do any workarounds for
something that new systemd+udev version broke. If any package seriously
breaks the system, it should be reverted or fixed ASAP. It's not other
packages' (and their mantainers') responsibility to work around those
issues.

--
Vratislav Podzimek