Re: Introduction and RFC on kernel cmdline based kickstart-file generation

On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 12:10 +0200, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 28.03.2014, 21:19 +0000 schrieb Colin Walters:
> > On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Fabian Deutsch <fabiand@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Because you don't need another "hosting" option for a kickstart.
> >
> > Would opening up the initramfs and injecting a kickstart into it be an
> > option?  See:
> >

> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2010-October/msg00072.html
>
> Yes, I also thought about delivering a kickstart somewhere. But this
> will leave us with one default.
>
> But a user probably wants to provide it's own rootpw or ip addr.
>
> What I could imagine is, that we provide a ks with sane defaults, and
> the user just uses the cmdline to set com directives to cusotm values
> (like the rootpw).
Having rootpw on command line is not good idea. Plaintext means it will
end up in bug reports and many other places, hash means it would be
really susceptible to errors and typos resulting in almost unusable
systems.

Kickstart files support %include, so the product/compose-specific things
may be defined in a kickstart file included in users' kickstarts.

--
Vratislav Podzimek