Re: feature for building docker base images in anaconda

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 09:21:00AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Basically, we need something that:
>
>  - takes a kickstart in
>  - outputs a tarball of /

This is why livemedia-creator was written. It uses Anaconda to create
'stuff', adding a tarball output would be easy. Currently you can make
iso's, partitioned disk images and bare filesystem images with it.

> and it needs some of the things already in progress or done (install without
> a kernel, install with reduced docs and langs). More specifically:
>
> Requirements:
>
>  * install without swap or any other partitioning (easy, I think)
>  * install without any bootloader (should be done)
>  * install with no docs (ditto)
>  * don't add any packages not in the explictly-given package set + rpm reqs
>
> Nice to Have:
>
>  We do a number of things in the image kickstart `%post` that could be
>  handled by the tool directly. This would make it easier for end users
>  to make their own images without complicated kickstarts.
>
>  * Create /dev/tty1 and /dev/loop# devices statically
>  * soft-link /dev/tty1 to /dev/console
>  * anonymize images with no /var/lib/random-seed or other supposed-to-be-
>    unique elements (/etc/hosts?)
>  * disable /tmp on tmpfs

These kinds of things belong in the kickstart IMO, the same way we do
things for the live spins.

> Bonus:
>
>   * anaconda run in its non-vm mode to reduce build time and resources.
>     In fact, it'd be ideal to be able to run this _inside a docker
>     container_.

Docker is using linux containers, correct? I've done some experiments
with systemd-nspawn and virt-install lxc and it doesn't work at the
moment. I'm not sure if it can or if the errors we will run into are
similar to what happens when we try to run in a mock (dbus/udev/X
anaconda requirements). Anaconda needs to be able to talk to NM over
dbus, and keyboard setup now comes from a stack of things that involves
X.