Re: Reclaim Space - shrink an LVM logical volume?

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 16:24 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 09:59:26AM -0600, David Lehman wrote:
> > On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 10:14 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > > I ended doing the resize manually from a Live boot before running
> > > liveinst.
> > >
> > > I disagree that this is an "uncommon" thing to want to do.  I'd rather
> > > do a fresh install than an upgrade, but I'd also rather keep the old
> > > version around in case I need to boot back to it.  When I install my
> > > own systems, I accomplish this by using custom partitioning and
> > > leaving empty space in the LVM VG and room for an extra /boot
> > > partition.  But if this wasn't planned for in advance, one needs to
> > > resize the existing root LV.
> >
> > This workflow is supported through the custom storage path. It just
> > doesn't fit the model of automatic configuration.
> >
> > You didn't specify whether you wanted to convert the LV space into VG
> > space or disk space. Anaconda supports converting it to VG space, but
> > not disk space.
>
> I want to use the Reclaim Space function to reduce the size of an
> existing filesystem and the LV that it is on, leaving free space in
> the VG with which to assign a new LV to format for the new install's
> /.

Right. I had figured that out by the time I typed the paragraph quoted
above. It just wasn't at all clear in your initial post.

The reclaim thing is really only meant to be used as preparation for
automatic partitioning, which does not make use of free space in an
existing VG.

Since you apparently just want to shrink an LV to make space to create a
new LV in the same VG using custom partitioning, you should be resizing
the LV in custom partitioning -- not in the reclaim dialog.

David