Re: Fedora 20 Beta blocker bug status: fix and karma requests

On Oct 23, 2013, at 2:44 PM, Gene Czarcinski <gene@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> So then the question is, if the disk is GPT, can/should systemd use UniquePartitionGUID in the GPT for swap partitions rather than the swap volume format UUID? The UniquePartitionGUID is more stable.
> Is there some underground movement to switch to GPT disks?  Doing a little googling, I found this:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GUID_Partition_Table
> which says the targeted release was Fedora 14 and thus it went nowhere.
>
> I am not sure that anaconda is prepared to handle this?

Mmm, it was put in for F14 or F15 and then rolled back out for BIOS computers because there were too many instances of BIOS firmware doing a face plant without its beloved MBR. Many such instances are worked around with the pmbr_boot flag (parted terminology) which is setting the active flag on the 0xEE entry in the MBR, which is what you get if you use the gpt flag when booting install media. Otherwise MBR is used for BIOS computers.

For (U)EFI computers, GPT is always used, and other than edge cases and unknowns anaconda is handling this OK, as far as I know.

Chris Murphy