Re: PV part specification

On 09/03/2013 02:02 PM, David Lehman wrote:
On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 13:38 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
On 09/03/2013 05:22 AM, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
On Sat, 2013-08-31 at 10:07 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
In kickstart, is there a way of specifying an LVM PV partition in a
manner which does not involve specifying a specific device such as
sdb1?  I tried using the PV's UUID but anaconda "does not like" LVM UUIDs.
LVM PV is specified as a partition and the 'part' kickstart command has
the --onpart option, that supports multiple formats. See [1] for more
details.
I am very much aware of what the manual says.  The problem is that it
does not work!
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#part_or_partition

Also please note that there is the kickstart-list [2] for this type of
questions.

Hope this helps,

On the other hand, I was not aware of the kickstart mailing list so I
will go there.
I recommend that you file a bug (against anaconda) including your
ks.cfg, the log files from /tmp, and a fairly detailed description of
the problem. That can save a lot of back-and-forth about what you tried
to do and what happened.
The trouble is that I am not sure it is a true bug ... but I could file it as an RFE. The UUIDs that a PV has are more than a big different (crazy?) when compared to the UUIDs found on regular partitions. For regular ext partitions or for BTRFS, the UUIDs are what anaconda expects to see and it all works fine even when the disks are physically shuffled around. But, to identify an LVM Physical Volume, right now it appears that you need to specify the device.

Gene