Re: Blivet & RAID10

On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 17:31 +0200, Jan Safranek wrote:
> On 07/03/2013 05:08 PM, David Lehman wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 10:34 +0200, Jan Safranek wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I noticed in F19 that blivet does not support RAID10 with 2 or 3
> >> devices. What is the reason for this? Sure, RAID10 on 2 devices is equal
> >> to RAID1. But if you add new device to RAID1, you get more mirrors,
> >> while adding new device to RAID10 adds more space + speed.
> >>
> >> I am really not system admin, is this valid use case or not?
> >
> > I'm not a sysadmin either, nor am I a RAID expert, but my understanding
> > is that raid10 on <4 disks is actually RAID1E. Blivet doesn't support
> > RAID1E, regardless of what mdadm calls it.
>
> You are right, with three drives layout of data on RAID10 = RAID1E. With
> two drives, RAID10 = RAID1. But that's just coincidence, the data layout
> is same, but MD header is different and will behave differently when new
> drive is added.

Blivet does not (and will not) aim to support every single configuration
allowed by, eg: mdadm. You can use some other means to create these
types of setups. If mdadm reports the array as usable, blivet will allow
you to use it. It just won't create such setups.

> In another reply, you have at least one user who uses RAID10 with 3 disks.

That user can create the array prior to installing the OS.