Re: F18 bug, bootloader install failed

On Mar 29, 2013, at 10:34 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/17/2013 09:50 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> 3. If the installation target is a drive with a 61 sector MBR gap
>> (legacy start LBA 63 for 1st partitions), the core.img is too large to
>> be embedded if LVM or btrfs are chosen device types. So grub2-install
>> fails, then anaconda crashes.
>>
>> Arguably the legacy partition scheme is flawed...
>
> ... or grub2 is flawed for blithly thinking that it is okay to use a
> specific amount of unpartitioned space?

GRUB Legacy did this also, so I'm unsure what you're arguing.

On GPT, GRUB2 uses partitioned space (whether EFI or BIOS firmware is used).

> (It isn't always 62 sectors, either.)

As it turns out I don't consistently get a failure with a 1st partition starting at LBA 63. Usually the GRUB core.img is ~26K which will fit into that MBR gap. But sometimes it's bigger and I don't know why, and then it fails, and subsequently anaconda fails.

Chris Murphy