Major criteria re-write / re-design proposal: Beta draft

Hey, folks. CCing anaconda list on this one due to the changes to the partitioning requirements (see below) - please send replies to test@, though, to avoid a thread fork.

Further to my previous mail - https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2013-March/114198.html - I've now got a first draft of the Beta criteria, along the lines of the Alpha draft in that mail. Here it is:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_beta_criteria_sandbox

I did much the same as the Alpha - tried to simplify the main text as much as possible, and use hidden paragraphs for legalistic details.

I did not yet add the References sections. Oh, I should also note that one thing I mean to add to the References for all three milestones is a link for each criterion to the test case that enforces it. We'll also now be able to do links from the test cases to the criteria they enforce, so the two will be much more clearly tied together.

There isn't much significant change to the wording in this Beta draft, somewhat less than there was in Alpha. Mostly just places I found I could rewrite things without losing any meaning. The exception is that I did the partitioning criteria rather differently, as we found quite quickly in the F18 cycle that we were unhappy with the first attempt at re-drafting the partitioning criteria.

I decided to go with one set of criteria for guided partitioning and one for custom, explicitly written as such (it turned out we did not enforce enough requirements on guided partitioning, the way we had it written before). I decided to try and be less concise for this specific case, and write out the requirements more comprehensively. I also decided on balance this is a case where we shouldn't try to be too 'generic' as it just winds up being too vague - we had "most commonly-used filesystem types" before, which is so vague you could drive any kind of bus through it. So I figured we should just go ahead and specify the exact storage types we support, and adjust the list as time goes on.

I think the actual requirements I came up with accurately reflect the consensus among QA and anaconda team about what we should realistically support at Beta. Notably I left out anything about resizing partitions and anything about re-using existing containers; I figure those are more appropriate for Final. I also left out 'complex' configurations like LVM-on-RAID.

As part of the partitioning revamp I tried to make the RAID requirements more sensible (previously it talked about 'creating' hardware and firmware RAID, which doesn't make any sense).

Again, comments, suggested refinements etc welcome! Especially if anyone can think of a way to make any of the 'main' criteria wordings even shorter and clearer, that would always be a win.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey