Re: Request for thread info

Hi all,

I guess I just wanted to see it for myself. I downloaded the mailing list archives for 2013, 2012 and 2011. There were only 2 posts concerning the DVD installer doing only 1 desktop environment. Of course, my search was with the keyword - "[Dd]esktop", so it is likely that I may have missed something.

I found 1 post by Mirek (June 15, 2012) that talks of InitialExperience being the reason we cannot have multiple desktops installed with anaconda. Another by David Cantrell (June 13, 2012) talks of Chris Lumens favouring a spins selector style for desktop selections.

Are there any other reasons, or did I cover it all? Plus, there was some bit there that talked of the installer being able to install every desktop on the media. I would have assumed that it means all, rather than any one.

In any case, the biggest shortcoming (in my opinion) of having a DVD installer that can only install 1 desktop at install time is the waste of network bandwidth. If I download 4 GB or so, I would like to see it fully usable at install time. Otherwise, I would have taken a spin and pulled it other stuff as I required.

If multiple spins have conflicting requirements (I am guessing GNOME 3, Mate, Cinnamon), can't we just have one of those in the DVD and others via the repo?

Is the dev-team willing to re-think on the multiple-desktop installation possibility in light of some recent criticisms? 1. http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/01/23/230255/alan-cox-fedora-18-the-worst-red-hat-distro-switches-to-ubuntu 2. http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/01/22/010220/fedora-18-installer-counterintuitive-and-confusing

Or is that just wishful thinking?

Unlike other people, I seem to have negative feedback only about the installer; the distribution works fine for me. Unlike other people, I would much rather try and influence the development rather than jump ship to SUSE/Ubuntu. I must say the installer for SUSE is rather polished and has been so for quite a while now.

Two sore points about the current installer were
1. Confusion in selecting my pre-formatted logical volumes for use in Fedora (I have multi-boot for Fedora/RHEL/SUSE). 2. Inability to select all the desktops available on DVD during install time.

My intention is not to flame anyone. I am just trying to see a better installer.

Nandan