Re: Mock-ups

On Feb 14, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Daniel Davies <silicon.octopus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The mock-ups can be found at http://perceptionflux.blogspot.nl/
>
> Each spoke should have an exit button (same as the control center)

I disagree. The X is clutter. There's no good reason the user needs an easily locatable escape option on every page of the installer. Retaining the Quit option in the application menu seems sufficient. The X element indicates "quit application" which for DVD and Netstl would immediately cause a reboot. This seems more of a hurt me button.

> The spoke name should appear in the title bar as a navigation aid.

OK.

> The done button should be replaced with the 'hub' button.

I disagree.

Anaconda's navigation needs location in a coherent region of the UI. Right now it's inconsistent, diagonally split, and hence confusing. Changing one navigational element from Done to be encoded as a symbol reduces discoverability, enhances user confusion, and turns the UI into a logic puzzle: "hmm well I see no obvious way out, so now that I've mentally eliminated all the other options, it must be this  dial pad looking icon over here?"

On top of that, the dial pad icon doesn't have a chance at conveying where do I go next? What happens to user settings?

Further, by placing the error message right next to the button, the two contexts are conflated.

Chris Murphy