Re: Boot Loader Spec

On 15/02/13 09:41 AM, Will Woods wrote:
Hey all -

Some clever folks have come up with a draft spec for handling boot
configuration in a shareable, cross-bootloader, cross-distro way.

I strongly endorse this product and/or service - bootloader configuration is a horrible mess and any attempt to make distros handle it better and more interoperably is a good thing. Every time we have a serious discussion of bootloader config the possibilities and use cases multiply until we wind up just throwing our hands up in the air. It's unmanageable.

The section "Why not simply rely on the EFI boot menu logic?" makes me very sad, but I can't argue with it: in the real world, efibootmgr seems to be being implemented so badly we can't just rely on it. Sigh.

One question arises that doesn't appear to be answered in your mail or in the spec: who is behind this so far? The spec deploys the word 'we' freely, without ever entirely defining who is currently included in 'we'. If we could get at least Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu on board with this, I think we'd have critical mass; adding Mint, SUSE and the Ma*a family would help.

I do think it might be worth being more firm about at least how multi-boot with Windows should work, it being such a very common case. Though I can see the argument that it's 'out of scope'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey