Re: usability lab on DevConf in Brno

> The most important information I received is that we will be able to
> get only 1.5 hours of the lab time. Is it enough time? It might be
> enough if we test several people in parallel. 4 people in parallel, 30
> minutes each, that's 12 people tested. It is achievable? I never
> performed such lab testing.

We'll be able to get an awful lot more testing done if we have people
test the DVD instead of the netinst.  True this will cut down on the
testing we give the source spoke, but it's probably worth it to crank
through more people doing more other stuff.  We can always come back and
test netinst when we are less constrained for time.

> We also have to prepare some abstract so that our session can go into
> the selection process and can be announced properly. The abstract
> should contain:

Is there a template?

> * session name

anaconda usability test

> * names of the people leading it

I think I can be there to help, but ideally I shouldn't lead it for two
reasons:

(1) I know too much about how things are supposed to work, and probably
don't want to watch.

(2) It seems to me that a native Czech speaker would be a better leader.
That way we eliminate any possible translation problems.

> * short description

For Fedora 18, the installation program ("anaconda") has undergone a
complete user interface redesign.  It has moved from the older wizard
style to a hub-and-spoke model where the user can do tasks in whatever
order they choose.  We are looking for data on the usability of this new
interface by observing people running through the installer and taking
notes on what problems they run into.

Something like that?

> * some links if appropriate

We could link to the feature page, or mizmo's blog, or any of the other
pages linked to from there.

> The abstract should be submitted ideally this week (to Radek Vokál).

Ouch, limited time.

> We also need to handle required hardware. It seems obvious we will
> have to have some computers prepared, this can't be done on laptops
> that people bring with them. I can talk to proper people to make sure
> the required hardware is ready, but I will need to know how many
> computers to request (and whether we have some specific needs, like
> laptops+external displays, etc).

I think we only have one camera setup here, which would make it
difficult to film multiple people installing at the same time.  However
that's probably a limitation we will have to live with.  Thus, we should
probably have a small number of computers so we can get one observer for
each person doing the install.  The observer can take detailed notes on
what the installer is doing and where they get hung up.

As for specific needs, I think answering that first means we need to
decide what we want out of this.  Are we trying to get as broad a base
of testing of anaconda as possible, or are we trying to get a larger
sample size of people doing similar things?  If the former, we will want
specific setups (pre-installed Windows, pre-installed other Linux, etc.)
on VMs.  If the latter, the setup doesn't matter all that much and we
could just use blank disks on VMs.

Probably whatever we do, we want VMs though.

- Chris