Re: Hostname setting in UI?

On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 13:39 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > I'd add it to the network spoke, but I am not sure about making
> > it required. Let's just offer the option for the start. I imagine
> > network spoke with something like
> >
> > /!\ you don't have hostname set
> >
> > could bother many users.
> >
> > I don't like the idea of having hostname entry in storage UI either,
> > I think just making user aware that the hostname is used with
> > hint of where to set it could be enough.
>
> Okay, agreed.  Nothing in in the storage UI.
>
> My thinking with making it required was:
>
> (1) It makes it pretty obvious where the hostname entry is.
>
> (2) This forces the initial network spoke to pop up, therefore the user
> has a chance to provide us with a hostname before they can start making
> LVs that will need that information.
>
> Thinking a little more about it, (1) doesn't matter.  If the user wants
> to give us a hostname, they are almost certainly going to look in the
> network spoke.  I do not know what to do about (2), though.  The risk
> here is that the user first goes into storage, we make VGs and LVs
> without a hostname, then the user goes into networking and provides us
> with a hostname.
>
> Perhaps we can somehow go back in and fill in the VG/LV names once a
> hostname has been provided to us?

And what if the user modified the vg name in the custom spoke? Do we
overwrite their name or do we have to introduce some method for guessing
whether the name was set by us? This is looking like it's going to be
problematic. Maybe we should only go back and rename the vg if autopart
was used -- not for custom layouts.