Re: Hostname setting in UI?

On 12/10/2012 12:08 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 07:32 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:
>> I guess of those four suggestions, (1) is the one I dislike the least.
>> Maybe someone else has better ideas.
>
> If using an hostname is an must then arguably the correct behaviour here is to never allow the user to manually set on and stick with doing a reverse lookup on the either manually or automatically provided ip address.
>
> If it returns an hostname then set it if not dont since the users dns setup is broken.

I disagree.  In a private network the administrator may choose which properties
should hold.  Using just one box with one network card (and the default HWADDR),
I boot several different operating systems, one at a time, and I want the
hostname and DHCP_CLIENT_ID and reverse DNS to reflect which operating system
(f18b32, etc.)  My router also acts as DNS and DHCP server, and it
remembers the last requested DHCP_CLIENT_ID, and reverse DNS responds with
that name.  But I want to set a new hostname for a new installation.  Thus
I want the installer to ignore reverse DNS, but use a new hostname that I specify.
On my network I consider this to be "desired" and not "broken".