comments on the new custom partitioning UI

Hi,

I gave the latest install image[1] a try, and I wanted to share my
impression of the user interface as it pertains to storage
configuration.

The very first thing that surprised me was the top-down configuration of
storage.  What I mean by this is that you specify a file system mount
point, and size, without any mention of where it will live.  It actually
took me several minutes of staring at the UI looking for what I was
missing before I actually went ahead and created a file system.  After
that, I found the obvious drop-downs for choosing whether the file
system would be backed by a partition or a logical volume.

On my system I have two identical disks, and I decided to create a
volume group to host 2 logical volumes, 1 for /boot and one for swap.
Then, I created a RAID1 volume to mirror the / partition.  This all
worked fine, though I was a bit uneasy about not being able to inspect
how the partitions were laid out before beginning the installation.

I did leave space on both disks.  Initially, I had hoped I would be able
to create a single volume group that would be larger than I needed, and
then just carve out the logical volumes I would use (and leave the rest
of the volume group available for expansion).  However, due to the way
the interface is laid out, there is no way to do this.

I can, of course, achieve the same thing after the system is installed
by adding another partition to each of the disks, running pvcreate and
vgextend.  However, I had hoped to set this up in the installer.

So, that's my minimal amount of feedback--I hope it's useful.  If you
have any questions for me, I'd be happy to answer them.  Just note that
I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, so you'll have to CC me on
discussions.

Cheers,
Jeff

[1] https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/qa/18/20121101_f18b-smoke14/Fedora-18b-smoke14-x86_64-netinst.iso