Re: Handling updates and product images

> With F18 we have a wrinkle with handling of updates and product images.
>   Previously in dracut we would unpack them and then overlay them on top
> of the newroot (/sysroot/).  To make this work, our updates and product
> images would have a path within them, /tmp/updates/  or /tmp/product/.
> This worked fine, until /tmp became a tmpfs mount created by systemd
> during system bring up.  When this mount happens it will cover up
> anything we've put in /tmp/ during dracut and thus we'll lose our updates.
>
> The quick and easy fix we've gone with for F18 Alpha is to mask the
> tmpfs service so that it won't run.  This brings things inline with how
> it worked in F17.  Will has expressed concern that we shouldn't deviate
> from the system like this and instead work around it [...]

...since it seems to be causing some serious, unexpected problems, we
have to deal with this immediately. Here's my take:

- It's silly for anaconda to expect anything in /tmp at startup,
since /tmp is (by definition) empty at system startup, so we should
switch to /run/install/{updates,product}. (That's option C)

- There are a lot of places that reference /tmp/{updates,product} in
anconda, so we probably can't do that for Alpha.

- We *can* easily change makeupdates etc. and add a symlink
to /tmp/{updates,product} during anaconda startup, for backwards
compatibility. (That's option D). Yes, it's definitely a hack, but it's
just a temporary fix while we work on the Proper Solution.

So - Jesse, could you post your code for options C/D?

Thanks for looking into this!

-w