Re: console handling with tmux

I have basically the same concern that Chris has.

On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 10:57 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> So now that we have tmux handling consoles for us, the rules for console
> stuff have changed a little. Basically, anything in anaconda that deals
> directly with VTs or /dev/tty* should be considered deprecated.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen during testing,
Anaconda's GUI is running on a tty6 outside of tmux. So in the GUI
installation the basic initial step before everything else would be
switching to tty1 where tmux runs. This is, however, not possible
because Anaconda doesn't "own" tty1 and is not in the same process group
as tmux (not sure if that'd help).

> tmux has a fairly robust command set that will let you manipulate its
> state (and thus what's shown on the user's console). For example, here
> are some common tasks and possible replacements:
>
> Old and busted: Sending log output to tty{3,4,5...}
> New hotness: Send log output to log files; tail log in tmux window
>
> Old: Run debugger in a new VT (e.g. tty6)
> New: Run debugger in a new window:
>      `tmux new-window -n pdb "[debugger-command]"`
I'm affraid this is not applicable to our case because we need to pass
stack to pdb as we are running the post-mortem session (might be
possible to dump it somewhere and load it again in pdb), but again
python-meh's GUI (which runs the debugger) runs on a tty6 and thus would
need to switch to tty1 before anything else.

> Old: Activate (switch to) debugger on tty6
> New: Not needed (new-window automatically switches)
>
> Old: Switch back to tty1 using isys.vtActivate
> New: Switch back to first window:
>      `tmux select-window -t anaconda:1`
Again, not applicable for the GUI running on the tty6, not anaconda:6.

--
Vratislav Podzimek