Re: Bug in newui and python-meh problem

> When trying to make python-meh exception handling work, I've hit a
> traceback [1]. It happens every time, but since it is in separate
> thread, without python-meh everything else goes on. I've used the
> updates.img to use up to date code.

I subclassed the python Thread class to make sure that an exception in
one thread brings down the whole process.  By default, an exception in
one thread will just make everything look like it's fine still.  So if
you're seeing weird behavior with exceptions in threads not bringing
down all of anaconda, make sure everything is using AnacondaThread.

> Another problem is, that if unhandled exception appears in a separate
> thread, python-meh displays the mainExceptionWindow, but then
> immediately whole Gtk crashes with many error messages on tty1. I guess
> the problem is that python-meh runs another Gtk main loop from a different
> thread. Any ideas how to resolve that?
> Appart from that, I added some patches that make python-meh work
> (posted on our patches list).
>
> [1] http://fpaste.org/Fbiu/

Like Martin said, you could try wrapping it in threads_enter and
threads_leave.  See gdk_threaded in pyanaconda/ui/gui/utils.py for a
contextmanager that does just that.

If that doesn't work, we might need to add some additional
communications channel between threads so the subthread can alert the
thread running the UI and it can do the graphical handling.

- Chris