Re: Text based UI - framework core, example hub&spokes and input related questions

On 07/30/2012 05:53 AM, Martin Sivak wrote:
Hi,

I did take a look, but well it is a bit messy to make anything out of
it right now...

And I do not like that approach much (inheriting TUI from GUI) to be
honest. It doesn't make sense from logic or code point of view (or at
least from my perspective), because the UI behaviour is too
different. For example all the messaging stuff in GUI can be removed
for TUI as we cannot change a value of anything on the screen. We
simply have to print the whole screen again.

The point with this work wasn't to have something pretty, or even something that would resemble actual code used long term. The point was to try to re-use what code exists to show what needed to be brought up higher during refactoring. Obviously we're not going to inherit gui code into tui. But working from the direction of "what do we need" seemed logical to me, as opposed to working from the direction of "we don't know what we need".

My git repo now contains refactored code which has common base
classes for TUI and GUI and has the GUI working again. But for the
text UI there are specialized set of classes using as much common
code as possible but omitting all the stuff which does not make sense
there.

I will add the documentation and some unit tests as time allows.

web:http://http://fedorapeople.org/cgit/msivak/public_git/anaconda.git/

I'll take a look.

--
Jesse Keating