Re: Text based UI - framework core, example hub&spokes and input related questions

On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 10:39 -0400, Martin Sivak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a bit confused about the direction you are pursuing.. comments
> bellow:
>
> > The code I'm talking about re-using involves finding hub(s) to run,
> > and
> > when a hub is picked, finding the spokes that should run with that
> > hub,
> > using the same methods of getting choices out of the spoke and into
> > the
> > ksdata, etc...
>
> Yep, that is what I would do.
>
> > Using the same hub/spoke like objects as in the GUI
> > seems
> > to work, all that's really necessary is overloading some functions
> > and
> > classes to replace gtk calls and glade file loading with something
> > more
> > appropriate for text.
>
> > I have some code mostly working.  I've replaced the
> window.show_all()
> > function with something that just spits text onto the screen, and
> > just
> > commented out a the Gtkmain() calls so there is no real user control
> > right now.  It just finds the spoke(s) and displays them, along with
> > the
> > associated ksdata.
>
> Wait a minute, what is the hierarchy here? Are you inheriting the TUI
> classes from the GUI stuff?

er, no.  The TUI classes mostly inherit from the GUI counterparts.

> >  I'm nearly to the point where you can call
> > run-hub.py with a text hub and have it do something sensible there
> > too.
> > I'll post code in a little bit, maybe next week and we can look at
> > all
> > the overloads and code duplication to see if refactoring some of the
> > ui/gui/ stuff makes sense.
> >

> If I got this correctly and you are using the GUI as a base for
> textual interface I tried to do it the other way.
> Creating (or improving) a common base classes for GUI and TUI to
> inherit from.
>
> You can see the work in progress here on the newtui branch:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/cgit/msivak/public_git/anaconda.git/ (once
> fedorapeople refreshes it)
>
> or
>
> git clone git://fedorapeople.org/~msivak/anaconda.git
>

> It is probably not working atm, but I am also getting close :)

I wanted to get something functional first to see what needed to be
overloaded or replaced, and from that then decide how better to refactor
the GUI classes.  What I have doesn't touch anything outside of
pyanaconda/ui/tui/

I'll post a repo on fedorapeople soon.

I think our work will likely combine.

--