Re: First mock up of new text UI

On 07/24/2012 01:11 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:
You'll find a series of screen shots at
http://jkeating.fedorapeople.org/textui/  Walk through them as
numbered (yes I'm missing a 2-...).

I think this is just about exactly what I'd been thinking we'd end up
doing.

I have no idea yet if we can handle many choice screens like lang
and keyboard.  Timezone data can be broken down much how tzselect
does it.

Screens with many choices could be paged, or perhaps broken down into
categories where you first have to select a category and then dive down
to select the real value.  This could even be done by having the user
select the first letter of the keyboard/language layout first.

Paging would kind of suck, particularly on terminals that don't page well, or at all. Trying to page through all the keyboard layouts to get to US would suck. But yeah, having the user type in the first few letters to narrow it down might be something that could be done. But that also sounds fragile and breaky when we start doing translated inputs.

I'd really like textui to be rock solid, and have as little code as possible. Fewer features and choice is fine with me, that's what graphical, command line args, and kickstart is for. Text mode should always work quickly and easily to get /something/ blasted onto hardware.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!