RE: Rescue mode

I've used a customised rescue mode for a long time, with a dialog-based menu.  It has functions to

  - Reinstall grub
  - Re-create the initrd file
  - Change root password
  - Configure and start dropbear for ssh access
  - Restore system from backup tape or online backup

We have standard tape and online backup strategies for our servers so we know what's needed for a restore.  We did have "prepare system for modem dial-in", but we're removing that because hardly any of our system admins know what a modem is any more ;-)  We've also been considering adding 3G-dongle support.

Moray.
“To err is human; to purr, feline.”