Re: Rescue mode

Martin Sivak <msivak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to start discussion about the rescue mode purpose and look in the newui environment.
>
> Currently we have just a shell encapsulated in very simple menu (with the possibility of calling firstaidkit tasks .. of which we have about two working..).
>
> I see the following common use cases:
>
> 1) Somebody with a hosed bootloader, but the system and hardware are OK
> 2) Somebody who needs to do partitioning stuff to fix something
> 3) Reseting root password for users who forgot
> 4) Real rescue when hardware fails (including a graphic card malfunction)
> 5) Rescue tasks for corporate customers using serial console hardware (with possibly not working NICs or network)
> 6) Our QA sometimes used kickstarted rescue to do testing tasks (commonly in virt environment with no NICs)
>
> I suppose we could use the hub and spoke model for the first three cases, but the fourth and fifth one is going to be harder. We cannot rely on GUI when the cause might be in graphic adapter (or there is no adapter at all).
>
> So tell me what you think or if you know more use cases.

I just had a system that was doing an upgrade from EL5 to EL6, and hiccupped
reading the DVD halfway through.  Took a massive amount of repair work in
rescue mode, but don't need graphics - terminal mode works just fine for that.
(The DVD _was_ scanned before the install started, so this wasn't its fault.)

Steve