Re: Fixing installer memory use

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 12:50 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > I have built images (based on F17) locally and confirmed that, with these
> > patches, it's possible to complete an install (from boot.iso) on a virtual
> > machine with 256MB RAM.
>
> Wow, that's impressive.  I can't remember the last time this was the
> case but it must have been quite a while ago.
>
> We'll need to change the numbers on the memory tests, of course.

Yeah, this is a little tricky - the memory requirements are ~150M higher
for URL installs, since we have the runtime image in RAM rather than on
a CD/HD/NFS mount.

It's not really worth the effort to "fix" that (who has computers with
256MB RAM anymore? My *phone* has more RAM than that!) but we should
probably encourage people doing virt stuff to download and install from
boot.iso rather than direct from the mirror.

-w