Re: Where are disks without partition table?

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 11:31 +0100, Jan Safranek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let's assume someone plugs in a disk without any partition table, like this:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1K count=1
>
> Devicetree then does not see the disk:
>
> disk = storage.devicetree.getDeviceByName('sda')
> print disk
> 'None'
>
> Where is the disk 'hidden'? Don't tell me I have to use lsblk to find it
> manually, I expect anaconda knows at least something about it - in GUI
> it asks 'do you want to intialize the drive?'. I want either to create a
> partition table on it (how?) or to put it directly into
> RAID/LVM/whatever (i.e. assign a pyanaconda.storage.format to it?)

You should familiarize yourself with some log files:

  /tmp/storage.log contains a great deal of logging from the
  storage module.

  /tmp/program.log contains all external commands/programs run by
  anaconda, including their full command line and full output.

  Sometimes the system log is useful, as is the output of dmesg.

Please don't start sending these to this list every time you have a
question/issue, though. If you have some web space you can upload them
to and reference here it will greatly help in these troubleshooting
discussions.