Re: Scaling up the timezone map

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 13:57 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > Here's the after:
> > http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Prototypes/Previews/timedate/timedate-after_largermap.png

> I definitely like the larger map, though I find the map being on bottom
> a little weird.  Do you have a reason for putting the map there vs. on
> top?  Maybe I'm just used to the UI we currently have.

Yeh, I agree. It was a tough rework. I wanted to put the map in the
center vertically with the two tz dropdowns centered horizontally
underneath. The problem with this layout is that if you click on network
time => on, then all the widgets above the map besides network time
necessarily grey out. The tz dropdowns should not grey out, but since
they'd be under the map, they'd be at the very bottom so people might
think they aren't available to use either and the whole screen has gone
inactive. I do believe you have to set TZ irregardless of whether or not
network time is turned on.

So that was the rationale there.

I noodled around with it a bit more, and came up with this. It seems
weird to me in another way, since it's the date & time spoke yet date &
time is on the exact bottom. However, maybe posing it this way is
better, because if you hit 'network time' up top, all the widgets on the
bottom get greyed out and it's like a bonus - you don't hvae to fill
them out. Since the region/city dropdowns are active and are the very
first thing in the most prominent spot (top/left) you can't really miss
them when the other stuff is greyed.

http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Prototypes/Previews/timedate/timedate-after2_largermap.png

`m