Re: [newui] Summary of boot device selection IRC discussion, Friday 3 Feb

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 12:36 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:47:25 -0500,
>   Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > - if you only have one local disk (laptop) then it's that disk.
> > - if you have multiple disks, it's the disk you have set to boot from
> > your firmware.
> > - the first local, non-removable disk is the obvious default
> >
> > If you pick the wrong disk for boot, your firmware won't know where the
> > os is and will pop up an 'operating system not found' error.
> >
> > There are some complicated cases, though:
>
> How does this work with software raid 1 where you probably want the mbr
> written on all of the array members so you can pull a bad disk and still
> boot off of the remaining one(s)?

As of now, the way it works is we automatically install to the MBRs of
each disk containing a member of the /boot array if the user chose to
install to the MBR. My first thought is that you would choose the disk
you expect to actually boot from until something goes wrong, and we'll
handle the automatic install to the other members' disks' MBRs if /boot
ends up being on RAID1.

Sound sensible?