Re: first attempt to use GeoIP information in Anaconda

On 10/04/2011 09:46 AM, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
This is a set of patches that makes use of GeoIP based information in Anaconda. GeoIP-based info is used to
guess the default value for language choosing dialog. While it's quite a big amount of code doing effectively
nothing for the user (if they're lucky, they get their prefered language preset in the "Choose language"
dialog) it shows what has to be done to use GeoIP.

The first patch only removes unused variable which I came across while working on GeoIP integration.

For some other info see:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/LocationQuestion
https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2011-August/msg00035.html

note: CCing Matt Domsch (developer of the Mirror Manager)

Thanks for taking a look at this feature. I still need to go through the patches.

One thing I'd like to see us try to do is using GeoIP data to set self.default in the timezone_gui.py file. This is something that Ubuntu does that I hear more about than anything else, and it seems somewhat easy to do.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Supervisor, Installer Engineering Team