Re: [rhel5-branch 4/4] Shorten long NIC descriptions to 60.

On 09/12/2011 04:25 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:
I'm a little concerned here that the most useful identifying information
will end up at the end of the description, therefore chopped off.

- Chris

I checked and that is not the case, for regular cards:

Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)

For infiniband:

InfiniBand: Mellanox Technologies MT25418 [ConnectX VPI PCIe 2.0 2.5GT/s - IB DDR / 10GigE] (rev a0)

So the final 20 characters or so is stuff like bus type and revision whereas the beginning is the card manufacturer and type, but of course there's no guarantee of that for all the devices. My reasoning was that it would in any case be better to to trim part of the description string over having the interface identifier (eth0, ib0 etc.) out of the screen.

Alternative is to drop this patch and wait for someone to start complaining, which is fine by me.

Ales