Re: F16+ stage2 vs. network setup and driver discs

> with the plans to remove text UI/loader and split the images in two
> again I was wondering who will do the "stage2" fetching?
>
> Because if it is loader (or any new flavour of it..) we will still get
> what we have now (language, keyboard, drivers, network,  stage2). If
> we do that graphical, we will have a big initrd (Q/A text mode might
> actually work for people).
>
> If we plan on using dracut to do that, how are we going to support
> network configuration and new hardware to the extent we do now? Is it
> possible to integrate some setup and driver disc app right before
> dracut starts with networking?
>
> We need to keep support for configuring stuff like iBFT or new drivers
> (including network ones) from all possible sources because of RHEL..

My main anaconda goal right now is to get rid of loader, or at the least
reduce loader to a set of non-interactive processes the user never sees.

All the "stage2 fetching" is going to happen in dracut.  However, it's
important to note that there should be fairly few instances where any
fetching really needs to take place.  For booting from CD/DVD/USB
(probably) you'll have everything you need to get into the anaconda
environment.  I think the only place that we'll have to do anything is
on pxe booting.

There, I think our plan should be to get into the anaconda environment
as fast as possible.  Once anaconda is up and running, we'll have
everything we need to set up driver disks and I'd love it if it could
happen in the GUI.  Basically, we just need to figure out a way to get
from dracut to anaconda with an updated network driver.  I don't think
storage should matter yet.

- Chris