Re: lorax "treebuilder" branch for F16?

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 15:22 -0700, John Reiser wrote:

> >> Where is it?  There is no such branch in git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/lorax.git.
>
> > clumens@exeter:~/src$ git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/lorax.git
>
> > clumens@exeter:~/src/lorax$ git branch -r
> >   [snip]
> >   origin/treebuilder
>
> So it's a _remote_ branch, not an ordinary branch.
...of course it's a remote branch. I can't very well push branches onto
your local machine for you. Sorry?

> [snip]
> > It's a continuation of the work I did
> > simplifying our installer environment, and it drastically reduces the
> > memory requirements of installation.
>
> Can it install F-16 using only 512MB RAM?  And 640MB with no swap partition?

Yes. This work started before the F15 release, and I tested it then:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2011-March/msg00263.html
I'll retest as soon as I rebuild anaconda with the RAM check
lowered/removed.

Furthermore, it's moving a lot of gnarly C code that we'd had to
maintain ourselves for the past 5-10  years (?!) upstream, into dracut.
For examples, see the following patches:
- Handling updates:
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.initramfs/1985
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.initramfs/1988

Obviously these things will still want maintenance/improvements, but now
they're part of an upstream project, so others can benefit and help with
maintenance.

> It's way too late: after feature submission deadline, after feature
> freeze,
> after alpha branch, after alpha change deadline, not ready for alpha
> release.

Yeah.. I posted this to anaconda-devel-list because I'm looking for
technical advice/opinions from anaconda developers. If you have some of
those, please share them; when it's time to talk to FESCo we'll talk to
FESCo.

-w