Re: archive-installer backend

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:57:41AM -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> '--image' flag. The advantage of filesystem images is that they can be
> written directly to the disk itself, so if done right it's even faster
> than installing from an archive.

Since I have multiple filesystems, that's hard for me to test
apples-apples, but I think I'm getting pretty close to raw I/O
speed on my test hardware with archive, so adding a resizefs
and copy tree and another mkfs is probably not going to speed
things up.  :)

But speed isn't the only thing.  Archive is generally more flexible
than image, especially if I extend it to do multiple archives --
base OS in one archive (can be updated for security updates, say)
and configuration in another archive (rarely needs to be touched),
and then the pair of archives deployed to grid machines with
multiple filesystems...