Re: archive-installer backend

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 09:31:19PM -0400, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> I expect that when I move on to testing NFS I'll see a more
> substantial difference because right now it appears that archive
> install is speed-limited by the DVD drive on the test machine.

Indeed.  8 seconds to install the archive for NFS; 10 seconds for
HTTP and FTP (due to initial buffering; I could fix that, but I
don't think it's worth making things more complicated).

> Now that I have a working prototype, I thought I'd ask whether this
> is something that would be considered for upstream official anaconda.

The one thing left in my prototype that I'm not sure about is
capability for splitting an archive across multiple media.  I
started implementing this but didn't spend a lot of time on it.
It has occurred to me that I don't see media switching used a
lot, and don't even know if that support (which still seems to
exist in some places in the code) is intended to be maintained
in the future.  It would be simpler to ignore it entirely.

If it's something that would be valuable, I can implement it;
if not, I'll clean out the stubs and offer up the initial patch
for comment.

Thanks