Re: [rhel6-branch 5/5] Implement an option that lets anaconda name mpath devices by the wwid.

On 06/21/11 03:18, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
On 06/20/2011 10:17 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:
I really dislike adding a UI element to specify the naming scheme you
use for multipath names. We should either be using the "friendly" names
always or the stable names always.

- Chris

I can imagine people opening bugs that their 'mpatha' device is missing
(we could explain that) or that they want the original naming
back---what to do then? It is like /dev/sda is suddenly called
/dev/<numbers>.

So I did what I thought that was the best thing to do given it's a minor
RHEL release. Maybe we can change the default on master and see the
reactions (but note that nobody is testing multipath on master and I
haven't seen a multipath bug in Fedora for a long time).

I second what Chris is saying here. While I like that you have worked to integrate flexibility for the mpath naming system, but for RHEL update releases we need to always have this mindset:

"New features that we have to implement should be scoped to kickstart whenever possible, we must avoid UI changes in update releases whenever possible."

So thinking about this improvement, we need to decide whether or not the UI should display mpathX names or WWIDs, and only enable one or the other. Lose the dialog box that allows users to change from one or the other. Based on the bug reports we receive, I would say displaying WWIDs should be the default. Kickstart installs should honor both methods, but we should just stop displaying the mpath names in the interactive installer.

Another way to think about it is that customers and vendors will have a reference that shows them their WWID mapping, but the mpath name is made up by us and not as consistent.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Supervisor, Installer Engineering Team