Re: Anaconda UX redesign / status update

On 06/14/2011 05:35 PM, Will Woods wrote:
On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 16:05 -0400, MÃirÃn Duffy wrote:
Well, there are certainly at least four ways to go here:

1 - Only ask stuff required for install pre-install. Fire&  forgot, come
back after you've gone to the kitchen and had a snack, and fill out
firstboot. (Pretty much what happens today.)

Only ask stuff required for install pre-install, while the install
progresses, ask the stuff needed post-install (this is apparently what
ubuntu does) Reboot and you're ready-to-go. If you're doing OEM
pre-loaded installs you put some flag in the KS so that firstboot will
start up and ask the questions that would have been asked during the
actual install progress.
I'm a fan of the Middle Way (#4) as well - ask questions during install,
optionally (either by KS flag or "Ask me later" button) ask them at
firstboot instead.

(It'd be nice if we could ditch firstboot - less code means less bugs! -
but I really don't think we can get away with it. It has some legitimate
uses.)

Which brings me to two observations:
- Hey, shouldn't firstboot be a hub-and-spoke UI as well?
- User personalization is a post-install thing, so shouldn't that go
into the post-install-setup hub? (Or is there some info gathered there
[hostname?] that's needed pre-install?)

Yes, currently storage depends on hostname - it is used for default
lvm vg names (set by anaconda), and software raid names (set by
raid tools anaconda is using IIRC).

Thinking of hostname's dependencies, it needs option of bringing network
up to get dns (fqdn) suggestion. That probably means UI entry point for
network configuration in personalization spoke.

Radek