Re: Anaconda UX redesign / status update

Máirín Duffy (duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> 2 HIGH-LEVEL UI PLAN
> ====================
>
> Secondly, the approach we're looking at is to swap Anaconda's current
> wizard-style, linear screen-by-screen interface with a hub-and-spoke
> model. (a lot of mobile devices have hub and spoke style settings
> interfaces, more info on the model at [4]).
>
> Here is the latest hub-and-spoke mockup - consider the storage portion
> pretty much not started yet:
>
> http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Prototypes/hubandspoke-preview8.png
>
> The kind of feedback that would be helpful, looking at this mockup:
>
> - Do you think the hub & spoke model could work?

Seems reasonable to me.

> - Are there additional screens we'd need before we display the hub? (So
> far in IRC we've come up with potentially adding a language selection
> screen as the very first screen)

Does 'language' here mean UI language + input language + keymap/keyboard, etc.?
I.e., is this just moving the 'localization' screen before the main hub &
spoke UI?

> - What key features that happen pre-install do we need here?
>
>   (so far, I think it's install vs upgrade, all the storage stuff.... and ?)

Well, what is the purpose here? To only ask what's required for
installation, and do all other configuration post-install? Would this other
configuration be at firstboot/InitialSetup, or after installation but before
rebooting?

Given that an installation can take a reasonably large amount of time, many
people like the idea of fire&forget - once you hit the 'Install' button, it
does not ask for anything else until it's finished entirely and is usable.
If we go down that road, then we would want more configuration done
pre-install, even if it's not necessarily needed for install.

Bill