Re: Draft proposal for using full anaconda as the default Fedora download

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 17:13 +0000, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> It would require not insiginficant changes to comps. For example, we
> offer 'Sound and Video' as a group checkbox. There's no good way to make
> this checkbox do a reasonably sane thing depending on which of the other
> checkboxes you checked (did you check GNOME? KDE? No desktop at all?)

I'm kind of thinking, drop those checkboxes. You get the equivalent of
the desktop live cd (the default offering) if you just click next next
next. Instead of having the package group selection screen
(http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html-single/Installation_Quick_Start_Guide/images/pkgselection/pkg-group-details.png )
you can select different 'add-on packs'. They would all assume a GNOME
installation. Other desktops could be installed, but as 'add ons.'

(please direct death threats to spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

> This is a big advantage of the live media; it's not just curated for the
> default offering, but gives a good method for any use case to design for
> its offering.

This is also a huge problem with the live media.... it proliferates the
limiting notion that Fedora is a bucket o' packages rather than a
platform to build upon.

> Stepping back for a sec, a lot of this would go back to actually designating
> what the non-Live media is for. We've *never* done that, leading to it
> essentially just being 'a set reasonably comparable to what was on the old
> Red Hat Linux CD/DVD.'  I don't see how something with that mantra helps
> with our usage cases/target audience, regardless of technical benefits.

Which do you mean? The mantra that designating what non-live media is
for doesn't help, or the mantra that the DVD is comparable to ye olde
RHL doesn't help?

> One minor issue here is referring to the install disc; I have three
> 'modern' laptops in my household, and *none* of them came with optical
> drives. Obviously, the plural of anecdote is not data, but I think it's
> a case we need to have a good answer for, even if it's no better than the
> current case for live images where you need some additional tool.

Absolutely. I'm in the same boat - my laptop has no optical drive.

~m