Re: some brainstorming on location in anaconda

> I'm willing to help consider moving some of the driver bits up the
> stack. What we did in RHEL6 with unloading all drivers and reloading can
> be fixed to only reload changed drivers and their dependencies (this
> wasn't done before because it takes some ugliness to do this right)
> using SRCVERSION data to verify that the module actually changed. But we
> still have some drivers where we can't realistically load them other
> than early on, so we should think about it some more.

It might help if we think about this in terms of what steps must come
before others, instead of in today's terms of early/late, loader/stage2,
etc.  So for instance, it's pretty obvious that driver loading must come
before the network is necessarily available (what if you're updating a
network driver?) but that doesn't mean it can't be done in the graphical
portion of anaconda.

We need to figure out what the end goal here is.

> I don't think
> graphics drivers matter hugely because we generally recommend doing an
> install with VESA or whatever works out of the box to get going, but
> there are probably some other cases. Let's talk about this.

Do we support putting graphics drivers into update disks?  As for which
driver we use - VESA is only recommended as the fallback.  We default to
whatever X defaults to, and it tries to use the hardware-specific one by
default.

> 1). I don't think you should always bring the network up without giving
> an option not to do so, or making it clear you are going to do this.

We already assume network in basically all code paths, unless you do an
HD install or boot off the DVD.

> 2). Many countries do not have an official language, which I would
> imagine is why you won't find it in an easy lookup table. For example,
> in the United Kingdom, in the country of England there is no official
> language (!English). A similar situation applies in the US. Some people
> get worked up about this kind of thing, like they do about flags.

Yeah, this part is going to be a little difficult.  The best we can hope
for is making an educated guess and then letting people change it when
we get it wrong.

- Chris