Re: Nightly branched images retrospective

> On 10/14/2010 11:42 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > I have procedural concerns about composing the branched tree from the
> > 'stable' content yet possibly composing the install images from
> > updates-testing; that would likely be excessively baroque to implement.
>
> That's a good point.  I didn't want to get too deep into the technical
> details of "images from updates-testing" unless it was deemed that
> having wide spread images from updates-testing content was desired.  At
> that point we could look at what changes would be necessary to
> accomplish that.  For now, I'm mostly interested in high level thoughts.

Thanks for raising this topic Jesse.

For QA, there is an odd procedural disconnect when it comes to providing
bodhi karma feedback for installer-related packages that could be
addressed by *also* providing nightly install images from the anaconda
in 'updates-testing'.

In order to test and provide the feedback, you need images, but images
aren't provided except for regularly scheduled checkpoints.  Much in the
same way the 'updates-testing' repository allows testers to compare new
+old and provide feedback, it would really be helpful to make the same
analogy more accessible for installer code paths.

However, I understand that the install images aren't generated using
only installer packages.  So I'm not clear whether the nightly
'updates-testing' install images would be created using the *entire*
'updates-testing' repo, or only the installer packages in the
'updates-testing' repo (if that makes sense).

Thanks,
James