Re: How to shrink the lorax install image ?

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 16:04 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/21/2010 03:46 PM, Martin Gracik wrote:
> > Yeah, sorting by size is a good idea, here's the list sorted by size, biggest first
> >
> > http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/install_image_diff_by_size.txt
> >
> > About the qt, you're right, yum installs a lot of dependency stuff, which is not needed,
> > removing these dependencies can make the install tree smaller too.
> >

> We really should get rid of all the kde stuff in there, that will help a lot. Also
> you can start with adding /var/lib/rpm to your to remove stuff, we really don't
> need an rpm database under the installer environment.
>
> So your first point of business is (IMHO) to track down why kde is getting dragged
> in and fix that:
> - patch the specfile of the package in question
> - do a local build
> - add it to a local repo
> - do a compose with the local repo included
>
> I wonder what the size will look like with all kde stuff removed.
>
> If you have any trouble with removing the kde dep (once you've tracked down
> the culprit package), let me know and I'll try to help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Watch out for requirements that are provided by multiple things as well.
policy kit agents are a likely source of trouble.  When there are
multiple providers, and we prefer one provider (say the gnome/gtk
provider rather than the KDE version) it's in our best interest to
explicitly list the gnome/gtk provider in our package set so that yum
will find a provider already in the transaction set and not seek out
another.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!