Re: Removing the number of installation screens (F-14)

Hi,

On 05/11/2010 04:12 PM, David Cantrell wrote:

On Tue, 11 May 2010, Hans de Goede wrote:

Hi,

For F-14, I would like to see the number of
installation screens reduced, thus making the installer more
friendly for less experienced users.

Some ideas:

1) Add an "advanced" cmdline option, and when this is not present:
* Do not ask for advanced storage use
* Do not ask what sort of installation (workstation / development
machine /
server) to do, simply do a default install
* Maybe hide "review partitioning" and "custom layout" partitioning
options

I know people don't like this, but since we target a rather wide audience
from beginning users to people who want to use SAN's, I really believe we
need to differentiate between the two, and as has been argued before
adding
a UI to differentiate between the two will only lead to everyone simply
selecting advanced as they are afraid they will miss out on some
choices, so
moving this to the cmdline where power users will be able to find it,
seems
like a possible answer to me.

I think you are correct in that we need to differentiate between the
types of
users. I am not a big fan of adding command line options to enable/disable
screens in the installer, so maybe we could do a variation on the
command line
option.

We could configure what screens are shown or skipped in the
installclass. Do
we still have 'expert' as a boot option? If so, we could key on that to
enable the screens we hide by default in the installclass. The fedora
installclass could skip the ones you mention and the rhel one could show
them
by default.

Yes this is what I was thinking of, for Fedora not showing iscsi / fcoe / etc.
by default makes sense to me IMHO, otoh we do want Fedora users to be able
to use this code. For RHEL we obviously do want to allow these by default
(well based on the product), so yes this belong inside the installclass.

I'm afraid that for the case of still allowing the use of then even though
not asking be default in Fedora will require a cmdline option. Maybe we
could do a cmdline option to set the installClass (could be handy for testing
anyways) and have 2 Fedora install-classes ?

Of course, this would probably require some work on the installclass
design.

2) There is no need to configure the root password during
installation, move
this to firstboot preferably to the user configuration screen.

I am not opposed to moving this screen to firstboot, but I think this is
more
of a policy decision for Fedora rather than a technical decision. In which
case, I guess we should ask FESCo.

If people feel this should be asked to FESco that is fine. It seems this is
something which we could only do for interactive GUI installs anyways, but still
I think it would be good to move the root password entry, as currently it feels
out of place, and having it together with the regular user creation feels more
logical to me, and also has the advantage of a new user being made aware of
the administrator versus regular user roles (and preferably different passwords)
more clearly.

Regards,

Hans